Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Word Verification - Why?

Why may I ask do so many people do the silly word verifications on their blogs? (No offense if you're one of them) I don't understand the point. I know I know, I've been told that it's to keep anonymous people from posting a comment but it's still annoying. I swear a 2 year old could read those letters better than me. Sometimes the letters are so slurred together you can't tell one from the other and I feel like an idiot trying to decipher it. I don't know how many times I try to type in what it looks like I'm reading only for it to tell me to try again. What's the point of having it if even semi normal sober people can't read it? Isn't that the point of it, to keep weirdos from being able to type the verification in? Why then do some people still have it once they go private? And... what's the little handicap sign next to it anyway? I tried to push it and it just told me to type what I see, well duh I'm trying. Maybe the sign is there just to validate the fact that I feel handicap trying to crack the code! Just some food for thought! :)

16 comments:

Noelle said...

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard it keeps spammers out. (Like the kind that aren't people, just computers that comment "ads" on your blog.) Who knows. I'm with you on the why do private blogs feel the need for word verifications?! Double annoying!!

Heather said...

I was JUST going to do on rant on this very topic! I want to leave people nice comments, but if I remember they have the stupid word verification on, that extra step often dissuades me, and I just enjoy the post and move on.

Sam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben and Natalie said...

You are so funny. I find myself thinking the same thing. I don't get it and they make me feel dumb and I like to think that I am a smart girl. :) Thanks for calling me back last night. I am going to try to call you right now

chase said...

I totally agree...pretty annoying! I'm less likely to leave a comment when I see that.

Jeff said...

I hate them as well. I can understand how they are to keep spammers out, but why does the font have to be so illegible? That's what I hate, if it were easy to discern what to type without a special decoder ring, I wouldn't mind it so much.

Perry's said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates the darn thing. I had no idea it helped with spammers guess we have been fortunate not to have that problem yet! I agree sometimes I don't leave a comment because of it, silly I know but it gets old!

carrie said...

Hi! After I read your comment on my blog, I thought I'd better explain... I didn't mean anything rude by saying my family "isn't close". I love Natalie so much....but I think differently about my family than she does, so I should be quiet. :o) I have always kind of been "on my own", so to speak. It's all good. Nothing happened.... ha ha You're sweet. Nat is lucky to have you for a friend!

Teddy, Scott, & baby Jane said...

Great observations Sher! I hate them too. I wonder if I have them on mine....I better check!

Trent and Whit said...

I couldn't agree with you more!

Julie Lewis said...

I always thought the little handicapped sign would read it out loud for you but I've never actually clicked on it so I don't know for sure why it's there.

Molly said...

Yeah, word verification are annoying...especially when the words are so jumbled together and you can't read them! By the way, I love your little count down to summer...isn't really that far away still??

brittani c. said...

I think you should rant more often, I feel like I do it too often. :) I decided that I won't add that feature on my blog because I love comments.

Tiff-E said...

I know!!! Every once in a while I wonder if I should have them on there, if I'm missing something magical about them, that everyone else knows...but I've been fine without them on our blog, and gladly, so have you!!!! :)

April said...

We did get weird spam comments on our blog all the time and so has my sister. But you bring up a good point...I forgot to take it off when we went private! Thanks for pointing it out to me. I'll have to remember to get rid of it since it is pointless now. :)

Heather Jones said...

I am sooo with you on this I hate it I don't understand why people have it either!!!